Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Some Page Turners You May Want To Dog-Ear

So I’m knee deep in this book “The Greatest Game Ever Played”and I got to say, it’s pretty damn good. For the past few months now, I’ve been trying to read some good golf books along with my monthly therapeutic intake of golf magazines. I’m not reading books on swing tips or anything like that mind you, just good books about the game of Golf itself. So far, I’ve read:

“Oakhurst : The Birth and Rebirth of America's First Golf Course”by Paula DiPerna, Vikki Keller
“Hogan”By: Curt Sampson
“The Masters : Golf, Money, and Power in Augusta, Georgia” By: Curt Sampson
“Scotland's Gift: How America Discovered Golf” By: Charles Blair Macdonald

So if any of you have any feedback on some page turners, please let me know. Otherwise, if your looking for a good read, try the above mentioned. Please note though, Macdonald’s book is somewhat detailed and in all honesty a bore in some parts, but still a good story of how Golf came to America nonetheless.

Enjoy!

2 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Blogger Erik @ The Sand Trap said...

IIRC, there are two Masters books that both retrace the history of the tournament and the course, and one of them is grossly inaccurate. I'm pretty sure the Sampson book is the "bad one" and the other, called "The Making of The Masters" by David Owen is the "better one," but I could have things backwards.

I recommend what you're reading now, along with any of John Feinstein's and James Dodson's books.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Joe said...

The Greatest Game Ever Played is one of the finest golf books a golfer could ever hope to read. Those who fail to read it are really missing out on a lot of enjoyment. The movie does a fairly good job, but misses a lot of detail that the book describes, which is usually the case due to time constraints.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home