Thursday, November 17, 2005

The Duffers' Anthology of Putting

Ladies and gentlemen of the golfing community, as of late, I have plunged myself knee deep into the vast cavernous resources that reside in my private golfing library to give you “THE” definitive collection of putting games and drills for all your practice and competitive desires. Unfulfilled with my librarial collection, I began pulling ideas from various sites on the internet to aid in my research. Below are just a few competitive games that I found in which one could make a little extra cash before their round:

Round the Clock
Bullseye!
Zone Ball
Hole out Relay
Crack Putters Open (My favorite)
Horseshoes (2nd)
Twenty-One

I’ve played several of these with my comrades on the practice greens before our rounds and I believe that I am a better putter for it.

Now that you maybe looked at a few of the games and drills found on-line, the descriptions below come from my periodical interests:

Tiger’s Drills:
Plant two tees 3 feet from the hole in the ground on the practice green just wider than the putter head itself. Stoke the putter through this “gate” Tiger won’t quit till he sinks 100 in a row. (Golf Digest Nov. 2005 p.44)
Using 6 balls and again 3 feet out, hit 12 putts with your right hand only, then 6 with both hands. Don’t stop till you drain the Benjamin. (Golf Digest Nov. 2005 p.44)

Stewart Cinks’ Ritual:
Use your driver to measure the approximate difference from the cup. Place two tees in the ground at both ends of the Big Dogs’ grip. (Roughly 3 and 4 feet respectively) Use this process to create four separate stations surrounding the cup (8 tees total) Using one ball, try to make three rotations by sinking your putt at each tee. Good Luck! (Golf Digest Dec. 2005 p.120)

Around the World: (Golf Magazine Nov. 2005 p.147)
The object is to putt around the edge of the practice green between the flags and the fringe in the fewest strokes possible.
Step 1: Place a tee in the ground between a flag and the fringe. This is your starting point. It is also the finish line.
Step 2: Using one ball apiece, you and your competitors’ task is to putt outside the boundary between the practice green flags and the fringe that surrounds the practice green. If you cross the boundary, you must putt your ball back into play. Now if you putt off the practice green, place the ball where it initially crossed the fringe and putt back into play. Oh yeah, each mistake is a one stroke penalty.
Step 3: Make one trip “Around the World” while trying to stay within the legal area and end where you began. Fewest strokes wins the game and hopefully some cabbage. (Not the vegetable.)

So there you go, as I find more games and drills I will make sure that I pass them on to you. There are still more resources that I have yet to explore. If you have any putting games of your own to report, please let me know so that I can add them to "The Duffers’ Anthology of Putting: How to putt well and make your friends cry."

Note to Reader: When I mention my “library”, you should know that I am referring to the stacks of periodicals located in my bathroom.

6 Comments:

At 5:39 AM, Anonymous jason said...

Hey! I just ran across your blog and was inquiring on a link exchange. If you're interested shoot me an email back. My email addy can be found at my blog. www.beginnergolfing.com/golf

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Martin Levac said...

Sometime this year, I got bored:

http://www.golfboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=5409

I call it the Gimme.


ML

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger The Undaunted Duffer said...

In golf, their is no such thing as a "gimme", especially if their is some cash riding on the line.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Martin Levac said...

I see. The "gimme" your refer to isn't the same as the "Gimme" I refer to in the putting drill I call the Gimme. In the Gimme, there is no "gimme", any ball in play must be played. Follow the link I provided earlier and read further for details on the putting drill. Incidentally, it's the only putting drill I do since then. Hey, I invented it.

ML

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger The Undaunted Duffer said...

I gotcha'. Sounds like a good drill, do you mind if I add it to the Anthology? With your credit of course.

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Martin Levac said...

I don't mind, if you can add it to your Anthology, that'd be nice. Thanks.

I found out about your Anthology from BadGolfers.com and wanted to send you the drill directly but I couldn't find your addy. Anyway, I figured I'd post it there to be linked or just plain C&P'ed.

ps. I agree with you about a gimme, I'd give no quarter if my money was on the table.


ML

 

Post a Comment

<< Home