Thursday, December 08, 2005

Duffers, Beware of Top-Drawer Syndrome

There’s a reason why I call myself a “Duffer”. It’s because I, in all honestly, am not a good golfer. I lack some of the fundamental skills which are needed in order to become a good golfer. These skills that I need to work on are not acquired through purchasing high end clubs.

So, pardon my bravado, but I just can’t seem to give a damn about “the next greatest thing in golf equipment” right now. I know that there is a plethora of people out their chewing at the bit and soiling their pants over the newest driver, hybrid club or putter this side of the Mississippi, but for some reason, at this stage in my game, I don’t see the benefit of dropping a few hundred bucks on a club.

Personally, you could compare what’s in my bag to a potluck smorgasbord. I got a Taylor Made Driver (300Ti), Tommy Armour 3 wood, CallawayX16’s 2-SW, but I don’t use the 2 and 3 irons. Instead I use a Hogan 3iron Hybrid. I have a Hogan 56 degree wedge, a Mizuno lob and a PING Anser putter all the while playing with either a Maxfli Noodle or Titleist DT SoLo ball.

Granted, I have paid a few hundred dollars to get where I am now, but I don’t think I’ve gone overboard like some people that I know. The only club in my bag that I bought new was my 3 wood, which I bought at a discount when I worked at Dicks Sporting goods.

For some reason, I can’t justify spending hundreds of dollars on a new driver or set of irons. I’m still trying to get used to playing, (and trying to play well might I add), with the ones I have now for Pete’s sake. By the way, I am fortunate enough to have an uncle who gave me his Callaway irons after he decided they weren’t up to his standard of play.

In any event, as I digress, tis the season for the next best thing in golf. Whether it’s balls, gloves, hats, bags or clubs, my only advise to the duffer next door is don’t get wrapped up in the hype. Pay what you feel comfortable paying and for that matter, what you feel comfortable playing with.

If you just bought a set of clubs this year, last year or the year before that, chances are you don’t need a new set. Unless of course you’re my friend, the Toking Bandit, who tends to chuck his clubs at anything and everything on the course after a blown shot. (We’re trying to work through his course management and anger issues. It’s a tender process.)

Now, I know that the big ticket items promise to have you reaping the rewards of low scores and possibly a few extra saw bucks you can pick up from your playing partners throughout a round, but if you don’t understand why the club is so pricey to begin with, chances are you don’t need it.

That’s my perspective anyway.

3 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Blogger CB said...

Calloways are expensive because people do need them. Sorry, I can't help bagging on Calloway.

You are right, the crap is too expensive, and based on my field research: most people don't need an R7 or, God forbid, a Scotty Cameron putter.

So to all those golfers out there that read this, grow self aware, and want to bestow a more worthy golfer with their over-priced objects of ego-worship: email me and we can work something out:)

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Greg said...

I just started in June and I'm using my Father-in-Law's old set, Top Flite Tours. I could not hit his driver, so I got a Taylormade R540XD for 75.00. I had trouble hitting the fairway woods and tall irons so I bought a Dunlop 3i Hybrid for about 25.00. While I'm sometimes drawn by the siren's song of the newer equipment, I always think about how many rounds I could play with that money. For now, odds are that I'll get better playing rather than buying!!

Enjoying your blog,
-Greg (http://new2golf.blogspot.com/)

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger The Undaunted Duffer said...

My point exactly, thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home