Wednesday, February 01, 2006

A Change of View:
Collegiate Golf Gets a Visit

With the spring season soon approaching the Erie shores of Northeast Ohio, I can’t help but think about the upcoming golf season. I’ve been practicing my chipping and putting quite frequently for the past few months in my basement by utilizing makeshift targets. Also, I’ve been hitting up the range as well, trying tirelessly to maintain my duffer like form.

All this is mere tripe in regards to the current, large scale happenings which are now taking place. The PGA Tour is in full swing, along with the Champions, Nationwide, and European Tours, with at least two golf tournaments being televised every week. I take this for granted during the late spring and summer months, forgetting about the off season when televised golf is something of a rare commodity.

These tours are all very well fine and dandy, providing great entertainment to the golfing masses week in and week out, especially this past weekend. I love em’. But, I can’t help but think about the untapped smorgasbord of golfing talent currently being refined and worked; no, not the Hooters Tour. I’m talking about college golf here folks.

I’ve never been a big fan of college sports. Call me a commie, call me a heathen, get the rope and string me up, but college sports never really turned me on. That is, until I caught the Walker Cup matches last year. Since then, I’ve broken out the speculum, gave myself a glance and now I’m trying to expound my attitude toward collegiate athletics. Mainly golf though. Baby steps people, baby steps.

The Golf Channel does what it can with its show College Central which is hosted by Megan West and Steve Burkowski. The show gives us a weeks worth of recap of all the college tourneys and some speckled stories highlighting some top Universities and their players. But is once a week enough?

Just to let you know, my new attitude is already paying off. While doing some personal investigation, I found the web pages for the Palmer Cup and the Porter Cup. I would probably have never known about these amateur tournaments before when my bitter and hostile mentality was in the way.

From here on out, I’m going to keep an open mind, College Golf Highlights and stories will be something I’ll have to keep myself updated on.

By the way, check out the final round scores for the Ping Arizona Intercollegiate tournament.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home